Catching Up With The Kelnhofers-53
This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing about our kite flying adventures, how we enjoyed some food from the State Fair and all of the delicious things you can make with in-season tomatoes.
This past weekend it was my husbands’ birthday!
Ben came down the stairs and saw the presents. Nick asked him what he thought they were. His response: “it HAS gotta be toys daddy” – it was too cute.
I got him some new loungepants which had pockets. Ben proceeded to fill the pockets up with toys, lol.
We baked him a cake (Nick got to pick a cake from this cookbook which you’ve heard me reference before).
New On The Blog:
- 3 Ingredient banana pancakes – these are so easy, healthy and the kids love them!
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – family updates from last week.
- Quick pickled eggs – this is a great protein filled snack that has a great vinegar-y bite to it.
- Best board games for kids – sharing some of our fave board games that we use to keep Ben busy (while still learning!)
What to Make:
Tomatoes are in-season and so delicious. Sharing some of my favorite ways to use them in these recipes:
- Tomato rosemary focaccia – homemade focaccia really is the best.
- Rosa tomato pasta sauce – sauces are always more delicious when you make them at home and this one is no exception!
- Peach and tomato panzanella – one of my favorite recipes from this summer.
- Tomato cucumber salad – a perfect dish that works while on the side of everything.
- Greek chickpea salad in a jar – I love this salad to take on the go
- BLT pizza – this pizza is only made better with the freshest tomatoes on top.
- The best side salad – I’ve often searched for the perfect side salad
What I Made:
- I made magic green sauce! That stuff, wow is it good. We had it on grilled chicken, on a salad with black beans and sweet potatoes, and as a sandwich spread
- Ben announced he wanted pancakes and eggys for dinner, so we (HE) made pancakes from my 5 ingredient cookbook and scrambled eggs.
- No bake oatmeal cookie energy bites are always a hit with all the kids – and me!!
- I’ve said before how not everything can be made with sourdough discard – things like brownies are flat out gross. I fell for it when someone said their sourdough discard cookie recipe was better than ‘bakery style’ chocolate chip cookies. LIES! lol, they were ok, but not good and still tasted cakey and not cookie like. Freddie loved them though lol. I’m going to stick with my sourdough discard scallion pancakes.
Reader Comments (and Re-Creations):
This week’s reader comment and re-creation are all rolled into one! This was a super cute comment about my 3 ingredient banana pancakes – I also make them with ground up oats instead of the whole wheat flour for a gluten free option.
Things I’m Loving:
- Products that work – ugh, I’m in my mid 30s and still get pimples every once in a while. This drying lotion is the only thing that actually works. Picture of me the next day with Frankie and I don’t have any makeup on.
- Second product that I’ve really been loving – Branch Basics – use code sweetphi for 10% off all starter kits. It is all-natural, non-toxic cleaning supplies. They have a concentrate and then send you empty bottles that you fill with water and concentrate. Ben loves washing his hands with the foaming soap. Plus, it cleaned the highchair straps that were so gross, oh, and their oxygen boost in the laundry with our gross bath mats made them “look fluffy and like new” according to Nick. Also their stuff cleaned puke stains out of the carpet, lol!
Item from Amazon you didn’t know you needed:
- These containers keep food fresh longer
What I’m Reading:
- I didn’t love The Two Lives of Lydia Bird, but I couldn’t stop listening to it just because I wanted to know how it ended. 3/5 stars, 1/5 flames – this is so subjective, lots of people told me how much they loved it. It reminded me a little of Oona Out of Order…but not as good, if that makes sense?
- On to the next on my summer listening list – I only have 3 books left, that’s so exciting!!
- My next will be Big Summer.
What I’m Watching:
- You know how much I enjoyed the Avicii documentary – just heartbreaking and beautiful. I came across his ‘Feeling Good‘ song and it gave me goosebumps, it’s a beautiful remix.
- Since there’s no State Fair, we got cream puffs take-out style. They’re still just as good!
- Nick moves Freddie and does the macarena dance moves and sings along and Freddie just laughs, it’s the cutest/funniest thing ever!
- We got a few kites from a neighbor (like these) and had so much fun going outside a few days trying to get it to fly. There was some wind one day.
- Also, we had lots of fun family walks!
Did you know?
- I get a lot of questions about my favorite pans or what I used to make certain things, so I decided to add a quick shopping section to many of my posts to show which items I use and love so you can quickly purchase if you choose to do so.
The shopping sections look a bit like this:
Popular this week:
- Most visited blog post: this remoulade sauce that we use on basically everything!
- Most liked Instagram post: Freddie loving on my cookbook is the favorite picture from this week.
- Most pinned image: this arugula salad that’s perfect for summer.
- Most viewed YouTube video: the video for eggless waffles is back on top!
- Most purchased item: these great jogger pants – they’re part of the Nordstrom sale!
How do you celebrate birthdays at your house? I’d love to hear, so just leave a comment below and let me know.