Backyard Scavener Hunt
A backyard scavenger hunt free printable with 2 different dice and game sheets. Turn your same old backyard into an adventure through exploration. And what makes this backyard nature scavenger hunt different is that it includes two different dice game pieces to help direct players to search for specific items.
As the mom of three and parent educator, I know firsthand how beneficial it is for kids to outside playing, exploring and learning. A scavenger hunt is the perfect way to make that happen. A backyard scavenger hunt makes it super easy for busy parents since you don’t have to go anywhere special to have fun. Of course, the game can be played anywhere outdoors if you do want to go to a park or on a nature walk.
The great thing about this backyard scavenger hunt is you can play it over and over again since there will always be new items in new locations to find.
What is a nature scavenger hunt?
A nature scavenger hunt is a game played outside, usually in a yard, park or on a nature walk, with the goal of finding all items on game sheet. The items are natural items that can be found It can be played with one player or as many as you like. You can play as individuals or teams. Each player or team searches for each item on the game board and the person/team that finds them all first wins.
Choose from the free outdoor scavenger hunt printable games below or use the free scavenger hunt template to create your own unique nature treasure hunt.
What makes a backyard scavenger hunt great?
- It’s easy to play for children ages 3 and older
- It’s great for one child or a large group
- It’s a great way to encourage children to get outside and play
- You can play it in your own yard or take it with you to a park or on trip
- You can use the same game boards over and over again since the composition of the outdoor setting will change over time
- You can find many amazing free printable scavenger hunts to print out immediately and start playing right away
- You can create your own unique backyard game
Backyard Scavenger Hunt
How to play the backyard scavenger hunt gaem
Print out the free nature scavenger hunt pdf (link below).
Cut out the two paper dice. Fold along the lines. Use glue or double stick tape to attach the flaps and make the dice.
Cut each game board out.
Set the boundaries of the scavenger hunt search area. Make sure all the players understand the boundaries.
The game can be played alone or with a sibling or friend. If you have more than two players, you can group players into two teams.
If playing with 1 player:
- Roll the dice.
- The player has 3 minutes (or the amount of time you set) to find the corresponding item and mark it off the game sheet.
- Roll the dice again and again, finding items until all the items on the game sheet are checked off.
- You can decide what to do if the same item is rolled again.
- Ignore it and roll again
- Look for a new example of the item and mark that down with hash marks for the number of items found.
If playing with two players or teams:
- Play as above, but there is no time limit.
- The goal is to find all the items on your backyard scavenger hunt board before the other team completes theirs.
How to print the backyard scavenger hunt game
You can get your free copy of the 5-page backyard scavenger hunt when you sign up for our free weekly newsletter. Additionally, you’ll gain access to the Organized 31 VIP Resources Library filled with 125+ free printables and task management tools.
You can print these pages on regular computer paper, but I recommend thicker card stock paper so that the dice cube holds up to active play.
Expert Tips for Printables
How do I access the backyard scavenger hunt printable?
Fill in the form above. When you submit the form, you will immediately be sent an email from Organized 31 with a link to the VIP Resources Library, including detailed instructions on how to access your printable. If you can’t find the welcome email after 3-4 minutes, check your spam folder. If you have any difficulty, you can email me and I’ll help you resolve any problems.
How do I print the pdf file?
The pdf usually opens right up when you click on the link in the VIP Resources Library. When that happens, simply right click on the pdf and either print or save the document to your device.
If the pdf does not pop up for you, you’ll most likely find it in your computer’s Downloads folder. You can also select “Downloads” in your browser menu to see a list of your downloads, then select “Show in folder” below the file name to see where it is located on your computer.
I’m worried about wasting printer ink – what can I do?
Most printers offer you the option to print in greyscale which is in black and white.
You can also look for the option to print in draft or economy mode. This usually means that the sheet is printed out with less ink. It still looks great and is a good way to print in color but use less ink.
How can I use the printable (what restrictions are there on use)?
You can print this printable pdf as many times as you’d like for your personal or classroom use. Share the link to this post with family and friends so they can access their own copy of the printable. All printables are copyrighted.
Looking for more outdoor activities?
- Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt – Take a walk around the neighborhood with your family or a big group and bring this free neighborhood scavenger hunt for kids with 4 different game boards.
- Nature Scavenger Hunt – Have fun this summer with a free printable Nature Scavenger Hunt (whether you’re in the woods or the suburbs) More than 30 items on 4 different sheets.
- Summer Word Search – This free 5-page summer word search printable is a fun way to learn for kids and adults. Includes 41 summer themed words & an answer key.
- Fall Scavenger Hunt – Explore autumn with this free 4-page printable fall scavenger hunt. It’s perfect for a backyard or a great outdoors activity for kids and families.
Other scavenger hunts you might have missed
- Summer Olympics Scavenger Hunt – Make memories and have fun with this free 4-page scavenger hunt for kids when you watch the summer Olympics.
- Scavenger Hunt Ideas – More than 25 different scavenger hunt ideas for the entire year, including free printable games for holidays, for kids, for adults, and for all ages.
- Scavenger Hunt Template – Use these free scavenger hunt templates in 8 different colors to create your own unique & personalized scavenger hunt. Can be downloaded immediately.
You’ll want to pin this free printable backyard scavenger hunt game so you can find it year after year after year.